· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatments
· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatment
· Suicide Warfare: Culture, the Military, and the Individual as a Weapon
· Women in Combat: A Reference Handbook (Contemporary World Issues)
· Women of Afghanistan in the Post-Taliban Era: How Lives Have Changed . . .
· Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Suicide Bombers
· Female Genital Mutilation: Legal, Cultural and Medical Issues
· The Cuban Family: Custom and Change in an Era of Hardship
· Paternity and American Law
· A Woman Confesses: It's Never Too Late For Lessons In Love -- And LifeLessons in Love and Life
· Sage Book Chapter: Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Genital Mutilation
· Terrorist Attack & Natural Disaster Preparedness
· Susan Cook-Jahme, AuthorsDen, Newsletter Review
· Warren V. Keller: A Visit to His Roots
· Properly Trained Servicewomen Can Overcome Physical Shortcomings
· Overturning Paternity
· Sexual Harassment
· Soviet-Afghan War (1979-1989)
· The "Dear John": Rosemarie Keller Skaine to Bob Trentz
· He Does Me Wrong Song
· Iíll Remember You
· Little Girl, Little Girl
· We Live
· I Am Well Fed
· My Horse II
· The Precipice
· Skaine Signs Two Contracts
· Skaine Interviews on Spotlite Radio
· Skaine presents at UN, Women in Parliament
· Skaine Gives UN Keynote, Terrorism & African Youth
· Query for Writers
· Rosemarie Skaine Keynote Speaker at UN Women 57 Meeting
· Christian Science Monitor Interview
Rosemarie Skaine, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Books by Rosemarie Skaine
||McFarland & Co., Inc.
||Jan 1 1996
your Signed copy today!
Barnes & Noble.com
Aurora Protection Specialists, Boca Raton, Florida
Presents a thorough examination of the issue of sexual harassment in the United States.
The book first defines sexual harassment, including operational, sociological and legal definitions, and then provides a history of the issue in the United States and a theoretical framework of why harassment occurs. This is followed by a look at the legal dimension of the problem, with a discussion of pertinent federal and state laws and decisions. The incidence and settings (e.g., workplace, housing, religious institutions) are next examined, followed by chapters on sexual harassment in the government, the military, and in education. The book concludes with discussions of strategies for the victims and for employers.
The Senators were shocked by the strength of the reaction from the women of America when Anita Hill charged Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas with sexual harassment. They were so taken aback that they did not confirm Clarence Thomas on Tuesday, October 8, 1991 as originally planned. Instead they postponed the vote a week and scheduled unprecedented hearings on Anita Hill's charges against Clarence Thomas. Subsequently, the Senate confirmed Clarence Thomas by a narrow margin of 52 and 48, but those who supported Thomas have not had an easy time of it after Thomas was confirmed.
The close Senate vote mirrored a deeply divided society. To those who felt Anita Hill was telling the truth, it confirmed that the majority of the Senate was out of touch with the women of America. To them, it was clear that the Senate and much of society were ignorant about the issue of sexual harassment and the case law established in the late 1970s and the 1980s.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Tables and Figures
Foreword (by Winston Burt)
Chapter One: Defining Sexual Harassment
Chapter Two: The History of Sexual Harassment in America
Chapter Three: Theoretical Framework
Chapter Four: Legal Dimensions (Coauthored by Rosemarie Skaine and James C. Skaine)
Chapter Five: Incidence and Settings
Chapter Six: Victims and Harassers
Chapter Seven: Sexual Harassment in Government
Chapter Eight: Sexual Harassment in Education (Coauthored by Rosemarie Skaine and James C. Skaine)
Chapter Nine: Sexual Harassment in the Military (Includes Tailhook 91)
Chapter Ten: Strategies for the Victim
Chapter Eleven: Policy Strategies for the Organization and Society
Chapter Twelve: A Society Without Sexual Harassment
The Myers Center Award for the Study of Human Rights in North America
Presented in 1997 to Rosemarie Skaine for the outstanding work on intolerance in North America, _Power and Gender: Issues in Sexual Dominance and Harassment_.
H-NET Review by Michael Harvey, Washington College, 1998
Rosemarie Skaine's book will help us continue to reform our institutions, and to change our expectations about the American workplace.
_NEA Higher Education Advocate_
Provides a history of the issue of sexual harassment in the United States.
Reviews for "Power and Gender"
|Reviewed by Hanley Harding
|This is important not only as a work, but as a reference text as well. The societal problems of sexual harrassment and involuntary sexual battery run deep and are all too often ignored by those who should be at the forefront of exposing and eliminating them.
Hanley "Doc" Harding
Certified Police Instructor
(past lecturer and victim advocate)
Metro-Dade County, FL, Rape Awareness Public Education Program and the University Hospital, Augusta, GA, Rape Crisis & Sexual Assault Services Center.
|Reviewed by Victoria Murray
|A book everyone should read! Super job by this talented author...
Victoria Taylor Murray
Thief Of Hearts'
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!