· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatments
· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatment
· Suicide Warfare: Culture, the Military, and the Individual as a Weapon
· Women in Combat: A Reference Handbook (Contemporary World Issues)
· Women of Afghanistan in the Post-Taliban Era: How Lives Have Changed . . .
· Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Suicide Bombers
· Female Genital Mutilation: Legal, Cultural and Medical Issues
· The Cuban Family: Custom and Change in an Era of Hardship
· Paternity and American Law
· A Woman Confesses: It's Never Too Late For Lessons In Love -- And LifeLessons in Love and Life
· Sage Book Chapter: Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Genital Mutilation
· Terrorist Attack & Natural Disaster Preparedness
· Susan Cook-Jahme, AuthorsDen, Newsletter Review
· Warren V. Keller: A Visit to His Roots
· Properly Trained Servicewomen Can Overcome Physical Shortcomings
· Overturning Paternity
· Sexual Harassment
· Soviet-Afghan War (1979-1989)
· The "Dear John": Rosemarie Keller Skaine to Bob Trentz
· He Does Me Wrong Song
· Iíll Remember You
· Little Girl, Little Girl
· We Live
· I Am Well Fed
· My Horse II
· The Precipice
· Skaine Signs Two Contracts
· Skaine Interviews on Spotlite Radio
· Skaine presents at UN, Women in Parliament
· Skaine Gives UN Keynote, Terrorism & African Youth
· Query for Writers
· Rosemarie Skaine Keynote Speaker at UN Women 57 Meeting
· Christian Science Monitor Interview
Rosemarie Skaine, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Books by Rosemarie Skaine
||McFarland & Co., Inc.
||Jun 1 1999
your Signed copy today!†
Price: $18.64 (eBook)
Download to your Kindle (eBook)
Barnes & Noble.com
Aurora Protection Specialists, Boca Raton, Florida
McFarland & Co., Inc., Publishers
Women at War presents historical and present-day information on women in combat. Also in ebook:978-0-7864-8173-6
After defining exactly what is meant by "war" and "combat," _Women at War_ presents historical and present-day views of the involvement of women in the military. The impact of regulations on women in combat is analyzed, as is the role of the American public in the controversy. Female combat is put into context with sociological theory; also discussed are readiness, cohesion, ability, sexuality, equal opportunity and family issues.††††††
Service in any aspect of the military is valuable. No one type of service to our country is better than another. All people who serve and have served our country I personally thank and respect. Many women as well as men would have preferred not to fight, but many women who wanted to serve in a combat role were not allowed to do so. They had no choice but to serve in the ways permitted. Some women served in combat either in temporary positions or because a crisis was the mother of invention. In an emergency, soldiers do what they have to do.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1 What Is War? 17
2 What Is Combat? 25
3 Evolution of Women's Involvement in War and Combat: The Historical View 45
4 Evolution of Women's Involvement in War and Combat: The Contemporary Scene 61
5 Law and Policy 89
6 The American Public (by James C. Skaine and Rosemarie Skaine) 119
7 Sociological Theory and the Evolution of Combat 133
8 Readiness 153
9 Cohesion 167
10 Ability 173
11 Sexual Issues 187
12 Equal Opportunity 197
13 Family 209
14 Toward Strength and Equality 223
Women in Military Service for America Memorial Foundation,
Rosemarie Skaine's book contains good, valuable, up-to-date information with a great many valuable oral history interviews. She explores a variety of extremely sensitive political issues surrounding the question of women in combat, including readiness, physical abilities, unit bonding and cohesion, and pregnancy.
Danville Area Community College, Danville, IL, Web Site
A richly documented analysis of the problems and issues surrounding the roles women participate in in the armed services. Beginning with apparently obvious but critically fundamental issues such as what "war" and "combat" really mean. Skaine examines the way women have participated in the military.
H-Net & MINERVA
Overall _Women at War_ is a fast paced, highly readable primer on the expansion of women's roles in the military. The book is a useful addition to MG Jeanne Holm's _Women in the Military: An Unfinished Revolution_, last updated in 1990. -- Reviewed by Pat Jernigan, Colonel, US Army, Retired.
Reviews for "Women at War"
|Reviewed by OnepoetGem *the Poetic Rapper
|Great perspective on womens role in the military, and you're correct when you say "All people who serve and have served our country I personally thank and respect." As it should be, cheers|
|Reviewed by Loretta Scott
|Thank you for sharing, for I am a living soldier/nurse, I am a woman soldier of "Women at War".
"YES I CAN"
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!