Barnes & Noble.com
David Petersen Storefront
A guide to connectors, verbs, expressions, and vocabulary for the Japanese ESL student.
Ideal for the intermediate to advanced Japanese ESL classroom, this guide helps students make sense of "media English" as found online, in newspapers, and in magazines.
Nearly 200 reference entries:
- Connectors ("in the event of", "provided that", "on the other hand")
- Phrasal verbs ("to brush aside", "to pull out of", "to put into")
- Idiomatic verb-phrases ("to mark a new chapter in", "to sink in")
- Everyday expressions ("an eyesore", "cause for alarm", "off the cuff")
Mini-quizzes after each section, and a comprehensive final exam
Plus practice tips on reading "media English":
- Computer-related vocabulary
- Popular English-language news, sports, and finance websites
- Practice with registration forms
- Overview of news article structure
- Features of headlines (with suggestions for reading strategies)
- Overview of financial websites (key vocabulary, elements of financial
advice, understanding financial predictions)
- The basics of sports websites (key vocabulary, writing style, elements
of sports articles and features)
English online is difficult. Let this easy-to-use guide help boost your learning curve.