John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· Hollywood Classics Title Index to All Movies Reviewed in Books 1-24
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||Lulu Press, Inc
||April 7, 2007
Click here to buy this book!
In Proverbs 8, for example, we read: "Do you wish to acquire knowledge and a deep understanding of the ways of God and man? Then seek out Wisdom. Praise Her and proclaim Her!"
The inspired writer then speaks with the voice of Wisdom Herself: "I am Wisdom...I love those who love Me! Everyone who seeks Me shall find Me!...
"The Eternal created Me before the beginning of Time. I was already everlasting before He made the earth...Yes, I was with Him, sitting by His side, arranging all these things according to His will. He took delight in My company...
"So listen to Me and weigh My words carefully: Everyone who responds to My voice, obeys My directions, seeks My advice, and waits daily at My doors will be blessed! For every person that finds Me, finds life, and he will surely win favor with the Lord God!"
To quote Jesus ben Sirach (1:1): "Wisdom comes directly from the Lord God. She is--and has always been--His! And She lives with Him forever."
Barnes & Noble.com
Fresh new translations are provided for pertinent extracts from The Wisdom of Solomon, The Psalms of Solomon, Jesus ben Sirach, Proverbs, Psalms and Baruch; plus the complete Tobit/Tobias, Susanna, The Story of Three Wise Young Men, The Visions of Ezra and The Prayer of Manasseh.
[We usually think of the Holy Spirit as "He", but the feminine pronoun is used in the Greek Old Testament, the masculine in the Greek New Testament].
What is Biblical Wisdom? Sagacity, yes. But in the Bible, Wisdom is also used as a synonym for the Holy Spirit, for She is (as many of the books listed above point out) Wisdom personified.
"Bible Wisdom for Modern Times" is not just a book quoting Old Testament references to the Holy Spirit. It also provides readers with an opportunity to see the Holy Spirit in action in three classic Biblical stories: "The Adventures of Toby" (aka the Book of Tobit or Tobias), "The Story of Three Wise Young Men", and "Susanna".
In the time of Jesus, "The Adventures of Toby" ranked second only to "Exodus" as the most popular story in the Bible. It is quoted in the New Testament by Matthew, Luke and John. Jesus Himself quotes from it and also turns its basic plot inside out for His parable of "The Prodigal Son".
Here, in this fresh translation, I have attempted to reconstruct the story with all its original power, fervor and vibrancy. In my opinion, it is the best story ever written. It never fails to stir my emotions no matter how many times I read it.
Reviews for "Bible Wisdom for Modern Times: Selections from the Orthodox Old Testament"
|Reviewed by m j hollingshead
|John Reid’s Bible Wisdom for Modern Times sections from the Orthodox Old Testament opens with a prologue featuring Pitfalls and Rewards as gleaned from the supposed writings of King Solomon.
Wisdom was a keynote attributed to Solomon who tradition declares was known for thoughts regarding wise behavior, thoughts and writings.
I like that Reid has undertaken this work. Too many of us read the Bible as presented by those who
have done translation, and the like, with little understanding that the original writings may or may not be fully delivered in the editions we hold dear today. Because Jesus drew upon Tobias for many of his adages and allegorical narratives it is essential we have a perception of this little known man
and the writings bearing his name.
Reid has noted, ‘What I've always wanted is a selection from the Bible of important material relevant to my life that's not only easy to read and understand but that sings to my soul. I've attempted to supply just that in Bible Wisdom for Modern Times. It appears that on the pages of Bible Wisdom for Modern Times; Reid has accomplished his goal, and, well at that.
John Howard Reid offers recently deciphered works along with paraphrased choices from Old Testament and the supposed mythical biblical wisdom prose. Included in this particular volume are writings attributed to Solomon as well as anecdotes of Jesus Ben Sirach, and Tobias.
Included in this edition are works of inspired Jewish and Greek writers. Reid has spent a good bit of time bringing many of the old writings into modern English. The original chronicles of The Three Wise Young Men and Tobias, Tobit, have been recreated to make them more readable without losing any of the didactic utterances as appear to be constant with the original narratives.
A must have for every serious Bible Reader; I am happy to recommend John Reid’s Bible Wisdom for Modern Times with sections from the Orthodox Old Testament for novice and long time Bible Readers.
Reviewed by Molly’s Reviews
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!