John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· Hollywood Classics Title Index to All Movies Reviewed in Books 1-24
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||Lulu Press, Inc.
||December 15, 2006
Click here to buy this book!
Other stars represented with some of their most interesting movies include Rex Bell, Smith Ballew, Joel McCrea, Robert Livingston, Robert Mitchum, Bill Elliott, Lane Chandler, Jay Wilsey, Wayne Morris, Tim Holt, Rod Cameron, Tom Keene, Wally Wales, Alan Ladd, Jack Hoxie, Reb Russell, Audie Murphy, George Montgomery, Jon Hall, Bill Cody, Dick Foran and George O'Brien.
Barnes & Noble.com
New Film Books
An alphabetical guide to over 180 western movies, with full cast and technical credits and up-to-date reviews.
Beginning with Tim McCoy's "Aces and Eights" and ambling through Gene Autry's "The Old Barn Dance" and "The Old Corral", this guide winds up with one of Autry's best films, "Yodelin' Kid from Pine Ridge", in which Gene's co-star is none other than the wonderful "Peter Pan" herself, Betty Bronson.
Yes, Gene's favorite sidekick, Smiley Burnette, is also along for the ride and really excels himself here in what amounts to a character role. No less than 16 Autry oaters are detailed and discussed, although it's Charles Starrett who enjoys the most entries (20 films). Ken Maynard has 10, Johhny Mack Brown 6, Roy Rogers, Bill Boyd, Hoot Gibson and Tex Ritter have 5 each, Randolph Scott, Buck Jones and Bob Steele 4 each, John Wayne, Jack Perrin and Tim McCoy 3 each.
GREAT HOLLYWOOD WESTERNS reviewed by Ross Adams in
This book will delight film buffs and collectors whose main interest lies in Westerns. Sub-titled "Classic Pictures, Must-See Movies and ‘B’ Films", this book is a classic in itself. It features nice color covers, with Roy Rogers on the front, and Gene Autry on the back. Inside is a great selection of lobby card reproductions.
A massive 201 films are reviewed in alphabetical order. Aces and Eights and Annie Oakley start the reviews which show dates of production and release dates in the USA and Australia; technical staff; actors, production company; running time and length; alternative titles where applicable; copyright details and a synopsis. In this new edition, John Howard Reid has also listed those films available on DVD and the releasing company – a great help to those who collect in this medium.
All the westerns are also reviewed and commented upon by John Howard Reid in his inimitable way. Although many are well-known movies, many are little known, and a few are not familiar titles at all. Some tongue-in-cheek entries give an entertaining touch to the reviews, such as Bugs Bunny in Buckaroo Bugs, Abbott and Costello in Comin’ Round the Mountain, The Marx Brothers in Go West, Arthur Askey in Ramsbottom Rides Again, Boris Karloff in Voodoo Island, and last but not least the 1936 New Adventures of Tarzan.
Of course no book on Westerns would be complete without the inclusion of movies made by Bill Boyd, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Ken Maynard and John Wayne. They are well represented here, but so are many almost equally famous stars, plus some that are remembered today only by really keen Western fans.
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!