John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· Hollywood Classics Title Index to All Movies Reviewed in Books 1-24
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||Lulu Press, Inc.
||July 3, 2006
Click here to buy this book!
True, I did include some movies shown on cable TV that are not yet officially available on DVD. On the other hand, most of these movies are now in the Public Domain. Firms like Alpha and Sinister Cinema are putting them on the market as fast as possible.
Barnes & Noble.com
NOOK Book Barnes & Noble ebook
Amazon Kindle Edition
Classic Movie Books & Golden Age Posters
The focus in this book is mainly on the films of Gene Autry, William Boyd, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Charles Starrett and Johnny Mack Brown. I'm happy to say this book is now available on Kindle. Click the Amazon icon and you'll find a link to the Kindle edition.
Well, you learn by your mistakes. I did originally intend to provide all the DVD details, but at the last moment I changed my mind and decided against free plugs. That was a bad error which will be corrected in future books.
BEST WESTERN MOVIES
Here's a feast for fans of Hollywood's Classic Westerns. To my surprise, however, one reviewer complained that I concentrated on films that were "obscure" and that he was "never likely" to have an opportunity to see himself.
As for the book's typical contents: Opening the book at random to the letter, "H", we find "Heart of Arizona", "Heart of the Golden West", "Hidden Gold" (which includes a complete summary with cast details of all 66 movies in the Hopalong Cassidy series), "Hills of Old Wyoming", "Home in Wyomin' ", "Hopalong Rides Again" and "How the West Was Won". Every one of these movies has been issued on DVD, and, as far as I know, they are all still available.
So, let's move on to "In Old Oklahoma", which is available under its re-issue title, "War of the Wildcats". Next is "The Iroquois Trail". I'm not sure about that one. It was on sale some years ago and I think it can still be purchased in one of the multiple-movie packs. "Jubilee Trail" is certainly available. So is "Kansas Pacific".
On the other hand, "The Kid from Santa Fe" was one I saw on cable TV. A totally inept Jack Randall effort for Monogram in 1940! If this excuse for a Western is not on DVD already, it's sure to happen soon!
William Potter for Reader's Choice Book Reviews
Western films may have fallen from Hollywood's grace in the past few decades; however, a loyal following of obsessed fans and collectors remain. If you are just beginning a Western movie DVD collection or are a seasoned aficionado of all things Western, "Best Western Movies-Winning Pictures, Favorite Films and Hollywood 'B' Entries" by John Howard Reid is a must.
This is the twentieth title in Reid's "Hollywood Classics" series. The research needed for a book of this nature is remarkable. Mr Reid names Westerns among his favorite genres and his dedication to these classics is admirable. His more than 20,000 reviews on file and collection of over 3,000 titles on VHS and DVD provide the resource for the bulk of the informative text.
More than 160 titles are examined. You'll recognize some of the all-time greats such as Yellow Rose of Texas, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and They Died With Their Boots On. Mixed in with the well-known films are B-movie gems like Cyclone Prairie Rangers, Arizona Bound, and Buckaroo from Powder River. Reid takes an in-depth look at the 162 minute epic, How the West Was Won and includes an index of all 66 Hopalong Cassidy films.
For each title Mr Reid has included the entire cast and the parts played by name. The director, screenplay writer, editor, music composers, and producers are listed, as well as copyright date, studio, worldwide release dates and run times. Most selections include the dates when the movie was shot and the cost of production. Mr Reid gives his own personal review and summary as well as other reviewers' comments. Parents will appreciate the "Viewers Guide" with most entries receiving an "Okay for all" recommendation.
For me, the actors from these films stand out as much or more than the films themselves. Larger than life men like the legendary John Wayne, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and William Boyd carried many of these films when script quality, production values, and budgets were questionable.
Mr Reid has included more than 60 movies posters that, alone, make this an enjoyable book.
"Best Western Movies" by John Howard Reid is a must read for the Western movie enthusiast or collector. If you are looking for a cinema experience that is a little different from current movie offerings, or perhaps you enjoyed these classics during their first run and wish a nostalgic second look, this book is as essential as your VCR/DVD remote. Highly Recommended.
Reviewed by William Potter for Reader's Choice Book Reviews.
Reviews for "Best Western Movies: Winning Pictures, Favorite Films & B Movies"
|Reviewed by MaryGrace Patterson
|I enjoy the old western movies. I used to pay 12 cents to see Red Ryder , Jonnie Mac Brown , The Lone Ranger and many more.. Wish they still made movies like they used to. Those were the good ole days. I enjoyed the article...M|
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!