John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· Hollywood Classics Title Index to All Movies Reviewed in Books 1-24
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||December 15, 2005
Click here to buy this book!
"Informative, comprehensive and entertaining, with over 80 illustrations (most of them full page or half-page), this selection is sure to awake fond memories."
Many of these titles of course are now available in their original CinemaScope format on DVD.
Barnes & Noble.com
NOOK Book ebook by Barnes & Noble
Amazon Kindle ebook
Classic Films and Vintage Movies
Lionel Farrell of "The Newcastle Herald" reviewed the original 200-page, small-format British edition on November 10, 1995. For the present 256-page, large-format American edition, the number of films described and detailed in the book have been considerably increased. The book is now available in Kindle, NOOK and other ebook formats. (The distributor has changed the cover image for NOOK, etc., but it's the same text inside).
"This account is the second of four books covering the CinemaScope revolution which rescued the film industry from the dramatic slump in cinema attendance in the early 1950s due to the impact of television. It carries the title "20th Century-Fox" in recognition of the fact that this studio not only introduced CinemaScope but provided the answer to the problems of the industry, and thus took over from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as Hollywood’s leading film studio.
"All the films selected for this book, made by or released through Fox, are given the characteristic John Howard Reid treatment, namely complete information on cast, crew and production notes, plus up-to-date reviews and critical assessments.
Ross Adams in Dress Circle May 2010
"CinemaScope Two: 20th Century-Fox" was first published in 2005, but I am looking now at the 2010 reprint. Running at 260 pages, the book contains a wealth of information about the great CinemaScope movies from the Fox Studios and also some of the lesser productions in "Regalscope" that Fox released in the 1950s and 1960s. There is also a listing of British films released in 'Scope.
On the opening page, author John Howard Reid gives a background to the CinemaScope revolution. At the back of the book is a complete listing in alphabetical order with release dates, plus a massive 42 pages of lobby card and poster reproductions.
The front cover, as pictured, features a radiant photo of Rita Hayworth, while the back cover has a color shot from "How To Marry a Millionaire" showing Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall and Betty Grable.
In all, 141 movies are detailed and reviewed in John Howard Reid's inimitable style, with complete cast and crew personnel, production and release dates in the USA, England and Australia, alternate titles, dubbing, footage and running times. Each film also has a Synopsis, a viewer's guide, and reviews from other critics.
This is a great book for the Fox CinemaScope aficionado who will no doubt drool over the array of films presented in such depth, including An Affair To Remember, The Agony and the Ecstacy, Anastasia, Bachelor Flat, Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, The Blue Max, Can-Can, Carmen Jones, Carousel, The Comancheros, Daddy Long Legs, Demetrius and the Gladiators, Desk Set, Doctor Dolittle, The Egyptian, Fantastic Voyage, The Fly, Garden of Evil, The Girl Canít Help It, Good Morning Miss Dove, Hell and High Water, House of Bamboo, How To Marry a Millionaire, The King and I, King of the Khyber Rifles, The Last Wagon, A Man Called Peter, Night People, On the Threshold of Space, The Racers, The Rains of Ranchipur, The Robe, State Fair, The Story on Page One, The Stripper, The Sun Also Rises, That Lady, The Third Voice, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, The True Story of Jesse James, The View from Pompey's Head, The Virgin Queen, Von Ryanís Express, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Warlock, Way to the Gold, The Wayward Bus, What a Way To Go! And over 90 more!
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!