John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· Hollywood Classics Title Index to All Movies Reviewed in Books 1-24
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||December 12, 2005
Click here to buy this book!
Buy your copy!
Barnes & Noble.com
Amazon Kindle ebook
NOOK Book ebook by Barnes & Noble
In 268 large-format pages, 150 cinema classics are presented, complete with casts and credits, awards (if any), and other release and background information, plus up-to-date comments and reviews.
Among the movies detailed and discussed in this book, you'll find such movie classics as ALGIERS, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM, THE BELLS OF SAINT MARY'S, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, BLITHE SPIRIT, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, CITIZEN KANE, COVER GIRL, DINNER AT EIGHT, DIXIANA, A DOUBLE LIFE, FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, FRENCHMAN'S CREEK, GASLIGHT, THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR, GOING MY WAY, GRAPES OF WRATH, THE HARVEY GIRLS, HELLO FRISCO HELLO, HERE COMES MR JORDAN, HOLIDAY INN, HOUSE ON 92nd STREET, JOHNNY EAGER, KEY LARGO, KITTY FOYLE, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, LOST ANGEL, LOST WEEKEND, THE LOVE PARADE, THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS, MILLION DOLLAR LEGS, MIRACLE ON 34th STREET, THE MORE THE MERRIER, MY GAL SAL, NOB HILL, NORTH WEST MOUNTED POLICE, NOW VOYAGER, PEPE LE MOKO, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, PINOCCHIO, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, THE RAZOR'S EDGE, REAP THE WILD WIND, REBECCA, SERGEANT YORK, THE SEVENTH VEIL, SPELLBOUND, STARS IN MY CROWN, THE STREET WITH NO NAME, SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, SUSPICION, SWEET DEVIL, SUTTER'S GOLD, SWISS MISS, THIEF OF BAGDAD, THIS IS THE ARMY, WE'RE NO ANGELS, THE WESTERNER, WHITE CRHISTMAS, WONDER MAN, THE YEARLING and many others.
Are there any surprises in the above list? You may find more among the 150 must-see movies in the book.
International Movie Making, April 2006
"MOVIES MAGNIFICENT is truly a magnificent publication." -- Rodney Bourke.
Wayne Howell in The Sun News-Pictorial
Guide to the films of yore
Be warned! This book's title may be confusing. It is called "Movies Magnificent: 150 Must-See Cinema Classics", and you may think you have found some important omissions. But there is a reason. This is one book in a series on the films of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Films like the classics, "Casablanca", "Gone With The Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz" are included in other volumes by author, John Howard Reid.
All Reid's books are interesting and useful. This present book deals with an impressive range of film landmarks, including credits, reviews and interesting background details on films like Algiers, Anna and the King of Siam, The Bells of St Mary's, The Best Years of Our Lives, Blood and Sand, Blossoms in the Dust, Citizen Kane, Cover Girl, Dinner at Eight, A Double Life, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Gaslight, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Going My Way, The Grapes of Wrath, The Harvey Girls, Henry V, Holiday Inn, Key Largo, Kitty Foyle, Leave Her to Heaven, Lost Weekend, Miracle on 34th Street, Now Voyager, Phantom of the Opera, The Philadephia Story, Pinocchio, The Razor's Edge, Rebecca, Sergeant York, The Seventh Viel, Spellbound, Sullivan's Travels, Suspicion, Thief of Bagdad, We're No Angels, White Christmas, The Yearling. But the book also does take a swipe at some of the sillier, popular film "classics" like "Andy Hardy Meets Debutante" and "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" which Reid describes as "a ghastly film" which bears absolutely no relationship to the famous true-life account on which it is allegedly based.
The book also includes some contemporary reviews and other comments by critics who know their cinema and always try to be balanced.
The notes on the films are also most interesting, listing awards and nominations the films won when first released, how they fared at the box-office and other behind-the-scenes stories.
Unfortunately, the book is sparsely illustrated with only 20 black-and-white photos (mostly full page), and although most seem unfamiliar, a few are of poor quality. A beautiful full-color shot of Charles Boyer, Hedy Lamarr and Sigrid Gurie in "Algiers" compensates to some extent.
Roy Salmons in International Movie Making
John Howard Reid's movie books go from strength to strength. If you collect classic movies on film or DVD, or if you just enjoy reading about them, then these are the books for you. Written by a true enthusiast, these classic books include such titles as "Hollywood Movie Musicals", "Movies Magnificent: 150 Must-See Cinema Classics", "These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards: A Film-Lover's Guide to the Best of the Rest", "CinemaScope 3: Hollywood Takes the Plunge", "America's Best, Britain's Finest: A Survey of Mixed Movies", "New Light on Movie Bests", and a round-up of " 'B' Movies, Bad Movies, Good Movies".
These books are crammed full of facts about each selection of films, including stars and the characters they play, synopses and critiques. There are many illustrations. All the books in this series have full color front and back covers, with black-and-white photos inside. Paper size is large format. John Howard Reid is to be congratulated!
Reviews for "Movies Magnificent: 150 Must-See Cinema Classics"
|Reviewed by Linda Law
|Wow... I have seen 35 of this list... because I do love movies...but rarely watch the older ones these days. This is really interesting, thank you. I'll check out a couple more when I go to Blockbuster next week... I usually watch (don't laugh).... 6-8 rentals a week...and when I'm really stressed or writing is blocked, I watch double that!! whew.. but I can do two things at once...:-)) lindalaw|
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!