John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· Hollywood Classics Title Index to All Movies Reviewed in Books 1-24
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||December 15, 2006
Click here to buy this book!
Of my 100 published books, my bestselling to date was "Suspense in the Cinema" which was constantly reprinted. It's only 2 years ago that it finally went out of print.
In "Movie Mystery and Suspense", you'll find detailed accounts of such classics as "Johnny Allegro" ("When is a Columbia film not a Columbia film? Answer: When it's deliberately made to look like an RKO film noir"), "House of Strangers" (now available on an excellent Fox DVD), "The High Wall" and "Black Angel". Plus famous serials like "Daredevils of the Red Circle" (one of Republic's best).
I also cover many of the legendary movies like "To Have and Have Not", "The Big Carnival", "Angel Face" and "My Name Is Julia Ross".
And then, of course, there are the surprises. Lots of surprises, including two bonus monographs, one on director Robert Siodmak, the other on Otto Preminger!
Although published way back in December, 2006, in the U.S.A., Canada and Great Britain, this book is not in the least dated. In fact, it has recently been published (June, 2011) without any alterations in Australia. Of course, many of these movies are now available on DVD, and that would partly explain this book's continued popularity.
Barnes & Noble.com
NOOK Book ebook by Barnes & Noble
Amazon Kindle edition
New Movie Books
The Kindle edition of "Movie Mystery and Suspense" is now available at Amazon and it has proved very popular indeed. You can check this out by clicking the link to the Kindle edition. I changed the cover for the Kindle edition, but it's the same book inside. And would you believe, the distributor has changed the cover again for the NOOK book and other ebook formats!
As the author of the "Merryll Manning" series of crime and detective novels, movie mystery and suspense is a topic right up my alley.
Of course, this is not the first book in which I tackled the mystery and suspense genre, but previous accounts such as "Mystery Movies" and "More Movie Thrillers" have been out of print for years.
John Howard Reid and Colleagues Do It Again
Once again John Howard Reid and his fellow critics analyze films from the "Golden Age of Hollywood" and Britain. An awesome task! The films have to be grouped under certain criteria. For example, "Bomba, the Jungle Boy" is included because the films could fit that criteria of mystery and suspense. Some titles might have you scratching your head because of their inclusion--yet Mr Reid and crew pull it off. The reviews are habit forming. -- C.K. Brown
Reviews for "Movie Mystery & Suspense"
|Reviewed by John Howard Reid
|"MOVIE MYSTERY & SUSPENSE" has proved an extremely popular book at Amazon's Kindle store. What is the attraction? Certainly mystery, suspense and film noir are currently flavor-of-the-month among movie fans, and this is a book that provides an invaluable guide to the really vast range of the genre, not the least of which is a brief monograph of director Robert Siodmak and a longer examination of Otto Preminger's career. There are also full details of the entire "Bomba" series. Six movies in the "Bulldog Drummond" series (all currently available on DVD) are detailed, plus critiques of such noir classics as "To Have and Have Not" and quite a few serials. All the same, I must admit to surprise that this far-ranging but somewhat sketchy account is enjoying superior sales to the much more comprehensive and far more focused book, "Mystery, Suspense, Film Noir and Detective Movies on DVD."|
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!