English for Medical Purposes:The Heart
A Medical English book for nurses and doctors which presents authentic practice in cardiac care of patients. Vocabulary and medical terminology relating to heart disease,cardiac equipment and medication is practised in authentic dialogues.
The ability to communicate effectively in the healthcare environment is recognised as an essential part of safe practice. This is usually tested before registration on a medical or nursing roll is allowed in most countries. The 'English for Medical Purposes' series focuses on the specific language and vocabulary used during nursing and medical activities to encourage familiarity with the language used to communicate with patients and colleagues in the healthcare environment at various levels.
1. Medical terminology: the heart
2. Medical terminology: cardiac diseases and conditions
3. Healthcare Professionals: Angiographers
4. Integrated Care Pathway - Coronary Artery Angioplasty
5. The Crash Trolley
7. ECG – performing an ECG
8. Anticoagulant Therapy – INR
9. Vital Signs - talking about blood pressure
10. Medication – heart disease
Ex 4: Complete the sentences 1- 6 using terms from the box below.
narrowing outer inflammation
muscular blood atheromas
1. Endocarditis is the ____________________ of the inner layer of the heart.
2. A phlebotomist takes ____________________ for blood tests.
3. Vasoconstriction is the ____________________ of blood vessels.
4. Cardiomyopathy is a heart condition affecting the ________________ layer of the heart.
5. Pericarditis is the inlammation of the pericardium or the _______________________ layer of the heart.
6. Hard plaque deposits which form on the inside of the blood vessel walls are called