· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatments
· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatment
· Suicide Warfare: Culture, the Military, and the Individual as a Weapon
· Women in Combat: A Reference Handbook (Contemporary World Issues)
· Women of Afghanistan in the Post-Taliban Era: How Lives Have Changed . . .
· Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Suicide Bombers
· Female Genital Mutilation: Legal, Cultural and Medical Issues
· The Cuban Family: Custom and Change in an Era of Hardship
· The Women of Afghanistan Under the Taliban
· A Woman Confesses: It's Never Too Late For Lessons In Love -- And LifeLessons in Love and Life
· Sage Book Chapter: Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Genital Mutilation
· Terrorist Attack & Natural Disaster Preparedness
· Susan Cook-Jahme, AuthorsDen, Newsletter Review
· Warren V. Keller: A Visit to His Roots
· Properly Trained Servicewomen Can Overcome Physical Shortcomings
· Overturning Paternity
· Sexual Harassment
· Soviet-Afghan War (1979-1989)
· The "Dear John": Rosemarie Keller Skaine to Bob Trentz
· He Does Me Wrong Song
· I’ll Remember You
· Little Girl, Little Girl
· We Live
· I Am Well Fed
· My Horse II
· The Precipice
· Skaine Signs Two Contracts
· Skaine Interviews on Spotlite Radio
· Skaine presents at UN, Women in Parliament
· Skaine Gives UN Keynote, Terrorism & African Youth
· Query for Writers
· Rosemarie Skaine Keynote Speaker at UN Women 57 Meeting
· Christian Science Monitor Interview
Rosemarie Skaine, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||McFarland & Company, Inc.
||May 1 2003
your Signed copy today!
Barnes & Noble.com
Family form is changing and the law is struggling to keep pace.
A father's role in the family has been defined in various ways throughout the history of the United States. Today the line is skewed, as more often the establishment of paternity becomes a difficult process no longer defined by the old standards of marriage or adoption.
This text discusses the changes in paternity laws over time and the ways in which each era's societal norms have been reflected in those laws. Custody, legitimacy, adoption and paternity are examined from a legal standpoint. Child support, visitation scheduling and third party parenting and visitation rights are also discussed, as are current trends that affect paternity laws. Major cases, statutes and model acts that exemplify changes in paternity laws are listed in three appendices.
221 pp, softcover, tables, glossary, appendices, bibliography, index.
"A father’s roles in the United States have always been complex. Those roles have become even more complex as society and technology have changed. ...
"As family forms change, the law struggles to keep pace."
TABLE OF CONTENTS
List of Tables xi
Introduction: The History of Paternity Law and Customs 1
1 Fathers and the Family 9
2 Legitimacy, Paternity, and Practicality 33
3 Custody 56
4 Adoption 82
5 Reproductive Issues 103
6 Balancing the Rights of Father, Mother, Child, and Society 126
7 Trends 140
Appendix A: Chronology of Important Legal Decisions 147
Appendix B: Statutes of Limitations for the Enforcement of Child Support in Every State 165
Appendix C: Paternity Support Retroactivity and Statutes of Limitations 169
Reviews for "Paternity and American Law"
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!