Six Tips For Being the Best Book Reviewer You Can Be
edited: Friday, February 03, 2006
By Regina Paul
Not "rated" by the Author.
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006
Become a Fan
How to be a good book reviewer.
As an author and a book reviewer Iíve been on both sides of the fence when it comes to book reviewing, and believe me Iíve seen the best and worst of attempts to review a book. Itís very important if you want to review books to follow certain criteria if you want to be successful at it and have both authors and other book reviewers respect your work. The following are some tips to keep in mind when reviewing someoneís book:
- Remember the book you are reading or have read is someoneís baby, keep in mind how you would feel if someone denigrated your child in front of you. Be kind even when being critical.
- Be objective. Donít let your book review become a personal attack against the author. If you donít like the book say why but keep your comments focused on specifics such as for example, the heroís personality seemed in conflict with his actions.
- Donít just say what you donít like, say what you do like.
- Donít be a spoiler, meaning donít give away secrets from the book. Give an overview of what the book is about during your beginning paragraphs only, without giving away significant details which will be revealed later in the book.
- Be prepared for the possibility the author of a book from a less than glowing review may contact you and be upset. People are human and while you know youíve been objective thereís still a possibility the author may attempt to change your mind. Be firm, but be kind. You donít want to alienate anyone, but neither do you have to change your mind.
- Above all, have fun! As an author I enjoy reading reviews done for my books as it lets me know both where Iíve done well and where I might need some work. As a reviewer itís fun because I get to help other authors in the same way.
If you keep these tips in mind when reviewing someoneís book you will have a better chance at both being a successful reviewer and at having fun while you do so.